It's You I Like

One thing that has been tricky for me to wrap my mind around is that God not only loves me, He likes me.  I have heard all my life that God loves me, but could He also like me?  So often I don't like me - my personality, my quirks, my interests even.  Yet grace would mean that God accepts the whole of me, including my personality and quirks and interests.  If He actually created me a certain way, could it be He celebrates that creation?  Yes!

Remember Mr. Rogers?  I once saw a documentary on him, where he sang one of his songs to Joan Rivers during an interview.  The song was called "It's You I Like" and Joan Rivers actually broke down in tears!  It was a wonderful grace moment!  Every person has that deep-down longing to be truly, unconditionally loved AND LIKED.  I like to think that this is what God is singing to each one of us today:

It's you I like,
It's not the things you wear,
It's not the way you do your hair -
But it's you I like
They way you are right now,
The way down deep inside you -
Not the things that hide you,
Not your toys -
They're just beside you.

But it's you I like -
Every part of you, Your skin, your eyes, your feelings
Whether old or new.
I hope that you'll remember
Even when your're feeling blue
That it's you I like,
It's you yourself,
It's you -

It's you I like...

(Song written by Fred Rogers)
May the amazing grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the extravagant love of God, and the intimate friendship of the Holy Spirit be with all of you. 2 Co. 13:14