Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my little online home...I have been overwhelmed by God's unconditional love and grace and enjoy writing about what God is teaching me... Blessings to you and have a great day!

Asking Some Questions to Julian

Sometimes I think of how Julian of Norwich's book, Revelations of Divine Love, is answering all the 'what about ____?'' questions that can come up when we find out God is all-loving and no-wrath.  Since that is so different from the religious things we've heard all our lives, so many questions can come up.  We've been taught to be sin-conscious, taught that God is sin-conscious, and we've been taught to be fearful of punishment, taught that God is only half loving and the other half judging/wrath/punishing.  So when we hear He is all loving and zero wrath, that is a shock and brings questions, and then into my heart come the answers from Julian's book of revelations of God's love:

But doesn't the Bible talk about God's wrath? "I saw no anger, other than humanity's."

But isn't wrath part of God's nature? "God is the goodness that can't be angry."

But isn't He bringing wrath sometimes?  "Nothing He does ever lacks mercy or grace."

But isn't God judging us?  "All His judgments are sweet and comforting and bring our spirit to rest."

But what about my sin?  "God does not blame me for my sin."

But isn't God against me when I sin?   "He looks on us with pity, not with blame."

But isn't sin deserving blame, by His justice? "Sin shall not bring shame but honor."

But didn't Jesus need to die to pay for sin debt?  "Jesus asks me, are you 'apaid' that I suffered for you?"

But why did He die on the cross?  "He went and rescued Adam from hell and lifted him to heaven."

But didn't He see Adam as guilty? "He excused Adam from blame."

But how could that be? "Christ was oned with Adam, so He could no more blame Adam than His own Son."

But doesn't God punish sin?  "Sin alone blames and punishes; God only helps and aids."

But surely our sin change our relationship with God? "Rising or falling we are always the same in one love."

But doesn't sin separate us from God? "We are so one with Him that there can be nothing separating us."

But don't we need to get forgiveness? "There can be neither anger nor forgiveness between God and us."

But doesn't He get grieved or disappointed in us?  "He always looks upon the soul with gladness."

But God can't just forget sin? "In God's sight we do not fall."

But surely we are bad sinners? "We are not sinners and we are not to blame."

But surely we're not innocent? "He sees us as the children we are, guileless and innocent."

But how can we be innocent and guileless?  "God judges us according to our true essence."

But don't we have an evil, sinful nature?  "There is a godly will in us that never consents to sin."

But doesn't original sin taint us?  "The soul is oned to God and kept endlessly holy."

But is humanity actually good?  "The whole of creation is beautiful and good."

But what about all the evil sinners in the world? "All natures came from God and return to God."

Are you saying all go back to God? "Christ rescued Adam from hell..by Adam I mean all mankind."

But what about all the evil that is done? "I made well the greatest harm and will make well all lesser harms."

But doesn't God bring suffering on bad people?  "God meets evil with good. Love overcomes the spirit of evil."

But aren't many people doomed to hell? "All shall be well in every way."

But what about hell and purgatory?  "These were not shown to me...I saw no harder hell than sin."

But isn't there a possibility of being damned? "We are led and protected by God and never shall be lost."

You mean we can be sure we go to heaven?  "The soul has a life that shall live in heaven without end."

But what if we turn away from God?  "Even though I abandoned Him, our gracious God never let me go."

But what if we fail to meet His standards?  "This life does not require that you live without sin."

But if I fail don't I let Him down and displease Him? "It is impossible for Him to be displeased with us."

But won't my sin stop His blessings? "My sin shall not stop His goodness working."

But isn't there some terrible sin that can disqualify me?  "What a powerful love, that no trespass can break!"

But isn't it all up to us? "God does all that needs to be done."

Are you saying this about all people?  "He made all things to endure forever, and nothing will fall short of that end."

And the Last Judgment? "By an action on the last day..the Trinity will make everything wrong to be well."

And those who suffered injustice and pain?  "All of us will be enfolded by the vast consolation of God."

But won't some reject Him?  "What we really want is God...creatures have a natural love for their Creator."

Is God really so nice?  "He really is simple, friendly, and utterly gracious..He is most gentle and kind." 

But surely His kindness is only for good people? "Everything is suffused with the mothering love of God."

But are some better than others?  "He makes no distinction between Christ and the least soul."

But does that include even me? "He will personally manifest His friendship to each one of us."

But what if I feel so far from God?  "We are in God and God is in us, even when we cannot see this truth."

But what if I can't get over my problems?  "He will never allow anything to impede our ultimate joy."

But will He put something bad on me because I sinned or to teach me a lesson? "God cannot do bad things."

But is He against me or struggling with me? "In God there can be no struggle, only peace."

But is He there for me in trouble?  "He supports us equally in well and in woe."

But what if I am ashamed of my past? "He transforms all things, no matter how ugly or sorrowful, into blessing."

But what if I have suffered and been hurt? "The Holy Spirit rewards us for all our trouble in this life."

But what if I feel so depressed? "Everything will be reconciled in joy...we shall be filled to the brim with joy."

But what if I don't pray enough?  "Your whole life is a prayer in My eyes."

But what if I feel so alone?  "He is closer to us than heart can tell...My dear darling..I have always been with you."

But what if I feel very vulnerable? "He wraps Himself around us, enfolding us in His love."

But what if I feel so nervous and anxious? "He is our true rest...peace and love are always present within us."

But what if my life feels out of control? "He is the responsible caretaker of our lives...I will take care of everything."

But will He ever leave me? "Our Beloved dwells within us in His tender love, and will never, ever leave us."

But can evil get to me? "I will always protect you...I will keep you safe...I hold you very securely."

But how does He see me? "We are completely lovable in His sight and stand fully at the center of His love."

But what is He really like? "He is Endless Love that is without beginning, always is, and evermore shall be."

But what does He want?  "He is loving us unconditionally, wanting only to bring us joy."

What is the meaning in this life?  "Love was His meaning."

What will the end be like?  "All things will have a good outcome."

Can we be sure of that?  "God is Love and will do everything."

What will heaven be like for us? "We shall be enfolded in God forever."

What is God's eternal theme?  "You will never know anything but love, without end."

(Direct quotes and paraphrases are from The Showings of Julian of Norwich, translated by Mirabai Starr.)








May the amazing grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the extravagant love of God, and the intimate friendship of the Holy Spirit be with all of you. 2 Co. 13:14