Perfect Love

If anyone in this universe truly typifies Perfect Love, it's obviously God.  Many of the characteristics of Perfect Love are listed for us in 1 Corinthians 13.  As I read through this list, I realized that my view of God in the past has been the exact opposite of what the Bible says He is like, being Perfect Love.

I have seen Him as impatient, yet 1 Co. 13 says He is patient with us, bearing ill-treatment from us and never giving up on us.

I have seen Him as harsh, yet 1 Co. 13 says He is kind and gentle with us, with a kindness that melts away our own harshness.

I have seen Him as pushy, even rude.  Yet 1 Co. 13 says He does not force Himself on me or others; He leaves us free.

I have seen Him as using us as pawns for His own ends, treating us as expendable tools to bring Him "glory", since it's "all about Him".  Yet 1 Co. 13 says He is not self-seeking, pursuing selfish advantage, or demanding His own way; He cares more for others than Himself.

I have seen Him as easily provoked, irritable, exasperated with me, and quick to take offense.  Yet 1 Co. 13 says He is not touchy or quick to fly off the handle but instead calm and longsuffering.

I have seen Him as keeping a record of sins I committed.  Yet 1 Co. 13 says He takes no account of the evil done to Him and pays no attention to a suffered wrong.

I have seen Him as not putting up with my poor behavior, willing to give up on me if I didn't perform well.  Yet 1 Co. 13 says He puts up with anything, bears up under even our poor performance, is always supportive, never gives up on us, and is loyal to us no matter what the cost.

I have seen Him as looking for the worst in me, constantly noticing my faults and being disappointed in me.  Yet 1 Co. 13 says He is ever looking for and assuming the best about us, with unfading hope for us no matter what the circumstances.

I have seen Him as someone whose love for me could run out if I messed up too much.  Yet 1 Co. 13 says His love endures everything without weakening, can outlast anything, always perseveres, and never looks back but keeps going to the end.  His is a love that will never fade or come to and end.  It's the one thing that still stands when everything else has fallen.  His love for us will last forever!

I has helped me when I've come across a certain teaching or idea about God to simply ask, "Is that the way Perfect Love would act or think?"  He is so much kinder, gentler, more loving and more beautiful than I ever imagined!
May the amazing grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the extravagant love of God, and the intimate friendship of the Holy Spirit be with all of you. 2 Co. 13:14