In The Garden

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

He speaks, and the sound of His voice,
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing.


And He walks with me and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own,
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

                                           C. Austin Miles

I believe the writer of this hymn had in mind the meeting of Mary Magdalene with Jesus in the garden the morning of His resurrection.  I think of how her intense sorrow and despair turned immediately to relief and utter joy!  That is exactly the experience of grace, I think.  To realize that what we have longed for and dreamed for, a right relationship with God, has been given to us for free, is the best of joys!  Jesus came out of the tomb a Conqueror.  He defeated sin, Satan, guilt, shame, evil, condemnation, and even death for us!  He left behind in the grave our sins, our old messed-up lives, our bondage to law, our enslavement to sin, and entrapment by Satan.  He came out of the grave and brought us with Him to new and whole life!  We rose with Him to be part of a new creation that will never die, filled with the Life of the Eternal One.  And we have all of forever to enjoy the One who loved us and gave His life for us so He could live in us!  We may come as Mary Magdalene did to the garden thinking we are alone, but He shows us that through His finished work we are His forever, never alone again, alive with the Life of Christ Himself and in union with Him forever.  He whispers to His true love, "You are mine!"  His bride will have a long and happy marriage through all eternity, married to the Lover of her soul!

                               With love from Sparrow








May the amazing grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the extravagant love of God, and the intimate friendship of the Holy Spirit be with all of you. 2 Co. 13:14