God's Sovereignty?

"Sovereignty" is a word that has sounded scary to me in the past.  The word can make me think false ideas of a cold, mean God moving us around like pawns in His cosmic chess match with Satan or "using" us for His own ends with no regard to us.  It also has brought to my mind the idea of God bringing tragedy on us to punish, teach us a lesson, or just implement "His plan" without any concern for us, since His plan (making Himself look good and whipping Satan) is all that matters, not our welfare. Such thoughts have not produced the most pleasant of feelings for me!

Sovereignty can be seen in a much better way, a grace way, I think!  I read some in a book by Steve McVey (called Walking in the Will of God) about this subject, and it helped me to see sovereignty in a better way.  I now like to see God's sovereignty or ultimate control like a safety net under us that won't let us fall out of His good plan for us, a plan to give us a future and a hope.  The important thing for me is to remember God's true nature - love and goodness!  Since He's good, loving and kind, "sovereignty" can be a comfort and not an anxiety for me.  To me it means that God is bigger than all my failures and bigger than any problem that may come my way.  I believe that nothing bad that happens to me and nothing bad that's done by me can stop His good plan in my life.  He is big enough and loving enough to make everything okay!

Love doesn't think of itself and it's own good but of others.  God is working things out for OUR good!  He's not implementing some selfish "plan" at our expense.  The "plan" is loving us!  It's showing grace and love to us for all eternity!  He saved us to be kind to us forever!  (Eph. 2:7)  The Plan is bringing many sons and daughters to glory through Jesus Christ.  That's the big and overarching plan that our sovereign God will accomplish - He will sum everything up in Christ to the praise of His glorious GRACE, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved!  (Eph. 1:6, 10-11)  We'll be part of the love union of the Trinity forever, and circumstances, Satan and even our own failures aren't big enough to mess that up! 

                    With love from
May the amazing grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the extravagant love of God, and the intimate friendship of the Holy Spirit be with all of you. 2 Co. 13:14