His Eye Is On The Sparrow


Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heav’n and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant Friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I’m happy, I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Let not your heart be troubled, His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free,
For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

                                                              Anonymous

Some think sparrows are worthless little brown birds.  It's hard to even tell one species from another.  But Jesus knows each one.  Not one of those little feather-bundles falls to the ground without His knowing, seeing, and feeling.  He cares for each of those seemingly unimportant creatures.  They are beautiful and worth much in His sight. 

I have seen myself in exactly this way, seemingly small and insignificant.  I may seem that way to myself or even others, but I'm not that way to God.  I am loved.  Cherished.  Significant.  Watched over, held, accepted.  Never alone.  I have a constant Friend, and I can rest and relax in His goodness!  His love has set me free!  So I can sing and be happy, for His eye is on me.  His heart is on me.  His love is on me.  And His life is in me!  I may be little but I am loved!

That's true for all of us sparrows!
May the amazing grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the extravagant love of God, and the intimate friendship of the Holy Spirit be with all of you. 2 Co. 13:14