God in the Darkness


There are times when I feel spiritually and physically drained.  I call it the blahs.  Emotionally I can feel sad, tense, or just feel nothing.  Things can seem dark and without a sense of God's presence.  And yet...Love is there.

We are dearly loved by an overwhelmingly Love.  God's love is overwhelming.  It overwhelms everything else.  It's there whether we feel it or not, always present and at work even in our blah times.  And it overcomes our troubled thoughts just as light overcomes darkness.  It casts out fear just as sunrise casts out night. 

Emotions and tiredness cannot stop the flow of love in our hearts.  The love that re-created us is right now washing us and bathing us in compassion, acceptance and peace.  We can't escape this love - it finds us in whatever dark corner our emotions try to place us.  We can't escape that embrace!  In our darkness we run right into His arms.

I think that is one aspect of grace that means so much to me.  To me, grace means that God reaches out to us when we don't reach out to Him.  He helps us even when we don't call for help.   He seeks us out even if we feel we're running from Him.  On those blah days when I feel nothing, nothing is really wrong deep down - my spirit is still in perfect, peaceful communion with Him.  I can forget that and be troubled, yet He always seeks me out in my darkness.  And somehow, His grace eventually overwhelms me again....

(As I write this, I want to make sure not to minimize anyone's pain or sadness.  I am acquainted with deep hurt and lengthy periods of sadness myself.  Grace never shuns us for our feelings or minimizes them;  His heart of grace is a safe place where every possible feeling or emotion is allowed, allowed for as long as we have it.  He has helped me see that prolonged times of sadness do not mean that something is wrong in my relationship to Him, and in the midst of that pain He has ministered to me.  So maybe that is what I am trying to say here - that in the midst of whatever we feel, He is there to minister grace and love to us.  He is ever bringing me back to the awareness of His presence, and it is something He does, not me.)


May we all be overwhelmed by the Love that won't ever let us go! 
                                       
                                           With love,

                    

May the amazing grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the extravagant love of God, and the intimate friendship of the Holy Spirit be with all of you. 2 Co. 13:14