The Gospel Says

What Good News does Jesus tell us in the Gospel?  In His own words we hear such good news:

The Spirit of God, the Master, is on me because God anointed me. He sent me to preach good news to the poor, heal the heartbroken, Announce freedom to all captives, pardon all prisoners. God sent me to announce the year of his grace— a celebration of God's destruction of our enemies..    Is. 61:1

I tell prisoners, 'Come on out. You're free!' and those huddled in fear, 'It's all right. It's safe now.'  Is. 49:8

I'll never forget you. I've wiped the slate of all your wrongdoings. There's nothing left of your sins. Come back to me, come back. I've redeemed you."   Is. 44:21

Or as Brennan Manning puts it, in the Gospel we can hear Jesus say:  "Shalom.  Be at peace.  I understand your fears, your failures, your brokenness.  I don't expect you to be perfect.  I have been there.  All is well.  You have My love.  You don't have to pay for it, and you can't deserve it.  You only have to open and receive it.  You only have to say yes to My love - a love beyond anything you can intellectualize or imagine."

To me, the Gospel says:  Let love have you.  Welcome home.  He's looking on you with love right now and with arms outstretched, He gives the gift of life.  Thank Him and enjoy that gift, the gift of Jesus Himself!  Open up before Him and share all that's on your heart.  He won't harm you.  His love brings healing to your deepest places.  You will never be abandoned or rejected.  You will never be alone.  All is forgiven.  All shame and guilt is gone.  He is really not counting your sins against you!  Rest in the arms of the One who has always loved you and always will.

May you be overjoyed at the Good News that God has graced you today!

                           With love,
May the amazing grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the extravagant love of God, and the intimate friendship of the Holy Spirit be with all of you. 2 Co. 13:14